Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Politics and Conflict in Japan

I have been accused of pettiness for this, but in all honesty, the aspect of Japanese society that I have had the most difficulty adjusting to is the public attitude to smoking. A lot of people I know, when they heard this, didn't believe me, or thought it was a stupid thing to get hung up about, but it's just absolutely disgusting. I hate it. I hate that in restaurants you're eating your food and all you can smell and taste is tobacco smoke. I hate that I can't go to an izakaya, a restaurant, even some trains, and not come out with my clothes smelling the same way as when I went in.



As you can see, non-smoking areas ARE available in many restaurants, but the unfortunate fact is that as much as you can get a non-smoking table, quite often there is simply no partition between smoking and non-smoking areas, so it doesn't even matter which section you're sitting in, you're still getting a lungful of toxic chemicals with every bite of your meal.

Given the fact that in Britain there is in fact a law against advertising or endorsing tobacco products in any kind of way, I was shocked to find that in Japan these kinds of advertisements are very common. See the pictures below:




I have to admit, the first time I saw advertisements like this I was very shocked. To see something so harmful and antisocial, touted in such a way, making it seem "cool"
, "elegant" or "sophisticated", seems so old-fashioned and counter-intuitive to my mind. Then I did some research.


According to this website, in 1995 50% of men and 10% of women smoked ,and in 2007 the figures has changed to 43% for men and 13% for women, according to this source. And whereas any smoking-related PSAs, television commercials or billboards are mainly to do with trying to get people to stop smoking, the only similarities I have been able to see in Japan are these kinds of advertisements, which do not focus on helping people to stop smoking, but only on how to be better to the environment and "smoking etiquette" when it comes to others. There was also a survey done in Japan, the results of which I found quite confusing: smokers seem to either not smoke at all, or smoke every day, not just sometimes; although 54.8% of those surveyed find other people smoking annoying, 35.8% don't feel any particular unpleasantness due to smokers; and with 51.4% of smokers not willing to try nicotine-based medications in order to try and quit, it looks like this situation is not one due to end any time soon...

Finally, according to this site, Japan's Minister of Finance owns a 66% share of tobacco profits in Japan; there's a town which hosts a 「たばこ祭」 (tobacco festival) every year (complete with "Miss Tobacco Festival" contest!); and there are many images of the ridiculously prevelant tobacco advertising boldly displayed for all - including impressionable children and teenagers - to see. Shocking...

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on this. I am especially annoyed by people walking and/or riding their bikes while smoking. I have posted on this subject more than once (in relation to visual anthro, of course):

    http://visualanthropologyofjapan.blogspot.com/search?q=tobacco

    What is a poor government to do when they know smoking is bad for its people but when at the same time they earn so much money from the practice? Smoking clean, indeed...

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.